Simple, easy and nutritious
Sorry about the picture, it does not look very appealing. But I can promise it tastes much better than it looks.
- ½ cup rice
- ½ cup lentil
- 1 carrot, roughly chopped
- 4 cups water
- 3 cloves garlic
- Saffron or tumeric (optional)
- Olive oil or butter
- Wash the rice
- Add all the ingredients to a pot and bring to a boil
- Reduce heat and simmer covered until rice is mush, about an hour
- Stir frequently
- Add olive oil and mix/emulsify
- This is a variation of congee - Chinese rice porridge
- Eating overcooked mushy rice may sound revolting but its actually quite nice once you overcome the initial hesitation
- I used lentil and carrot because thats what I had available. The carrot added sweetness, color and carotene while lentils added nice flavour and proteins!
- You can use vegetable stock or stock cubes for even more flavour
- Don't forget to stir frequently otherwise the rice will stick to the bottom and burn
- You can switch olive oil with butter - flavour, taste vs health benefits, its your choice!