Saturday, November 20, 2010

Lemon Cookies Recipe

Light, chewy, tasty and low in fat

These lemon cookies are unbelievably addictive. They are light, slightly chewy and have low fat content. It is the first time ever I made lemon cookies. For me lemons are used generally for salad and fish, not cookies or cakes. But after eating these beauties, I completely changed my mind. 

These cookies are very addictive so in case you baked a whole batch they will disappear. In other words, they don’t keep well! I have a sweet tooth and generally low willpower and I could foresee this happening to me so I decided to freeze part of the dough for later consumption. Cookie dough normally freezes very well without affecting flavour or texture. 

When forming into shapes, for few cookies I made an indent in the centre, in other words, slightly concave shaped. The end result was a flatter cookie. I got the idea from Rachel Ray who made indents when forming burger patties. While flatter cookies looked more flatter it requires more effort and still tastes the same. Unlike burgers where you make one or few only and you can do all sorts of fancy things, its more time consuming with cookies. But there is no harm experimenting when you have time.

Here comes the recipe which has been adopted from Tastes of Home, who in turn adopted it from Perfect Light Desserts by Nick Malgieri and David Joachim. Tastes of Home calls it lemonade cookies but I prefer to call it lemon cookies.

By the way, since the recipe uses egg whites only, I used the egg yolks to make garlic mayonnaise

Ingredients
  • 1 1/4 cups flour 
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
  • 3/4 cup sugar
  • 1/4 cup salted butter, at room temperature
  • 1 large egg white
  • 1 teaspoon lemon zest, finely grated
  • 2 tablespoons lemon juice
 Method
  • Preheat oven to 175 degrees celcius
  • Beat butter and sugar together until well mixed
  • Add egg white and lemon zest and beat until well mixed
  • Add shifted flour and baking powder, and lemon juice and mix well
  • Make small balls, flatten slightly, place then about 3 cm's apart on greased baking tray
  • Place baking tray in the middle of the oven and bake for 8 to 10 minutes, or until they are pale on top and slightly brown at the bottom

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...