Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Crispy Coconut Cupcake with Peanut Butter, Banana and Chocolate Crumble Recipe

Crispy Coconut Cupcake with Peanut Butter, Banana and Chocolate Crumble

This looks nothing like a cupcake. It used to be a cupcake but it was converted into a crispy cupcake. I am not sure what I should call this thing so lets just stick with crispy cupcake for now.

You will probably not believe me if I say that this is really simple to make and requires few basic ingredients that are most probably sitting in your pantry. Trust me, my pantry is usually empty and I have all the required ingredients. The cupcake has just 4 ingredients, and cake mix is not one of them, neither is butter or eggs.


The process for making it is quite different. First I made a regular cupcake using this recipe. I then removed the inside of the cupcake, make this into crumbs by drying it out in the oven and then filled the cupcake with the crumbs. As a result the cupcake has a completely different texture from a regular cupcake. It is crispy on the outside and the inside. 

While the recipe is really simple it does take a bit of time to dry out the cupcake.

Crispy Coconut Cupcake with Peanut Butter, Banana and Chocolate Crumble

Ingredients
1 cup self raising flour
1 cup sugar
1 cup dessicated coconut (toasted - optional)
¾ cup milk
Different ingredients for the crumble – I used peanut butter, banana and chocolate (butter, sugar and cocoa)

Directions
1.      Heat oven to 180C/360F 
2.      Mix milk and sugar
3.      Add shifted flour and coconut and mix well
4.      Bake for around 30 minutes
5.      Once the cake has cooled cut off the top and using a knife and spoon remove the inside of the cake, leaving just a thin outer layer of the cake. The cake will look like a pastry shell (“shell”)
6.      Break or cut the inside of the cake into small pieces (crumbs). Put this on a baking tray together with the shell. 
7.      Bake at 85C/185F degrees until the shell and crumbs are crispy, about 40-60 minutes. Keep the oven door open 
8.      Mix the crumbs with different flavours and layer then inside the shell.

4 comments:

  1. Very interesting procedure. Make the cupcake and massacre the cupcake.
    Open oven door? Really? I'm sorry, but I'm not too clear on that. (Stupidity setting in). :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha, yes, make and massacre, and then eat. Leaving the door open helps to dry it out faster since it allows the moisture to escape through a bigger exit

    ReplyDelete
  3. All of my favorites in one cupcake/cookie??? Yummily delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd have never believed it was not that complicated to make. I just saw the different layers and was in awe! It looks perfect, so gooey, moist and crispy on the surface...yum!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...