|Banana chocolate brownie with caramelized coconut topping|
Chocolate, banana and coconut go well together, maybe because all these ingredients are grown in tropical climates. This logic does not necessarily apply in all cases but its certainly true for this brownie.
The brownie has 3 layers, it may seem complex but the recipe is actually really simple. I preferred to keep the layers separate to have a more distinct chocolate, coconut and banana flavour. And a brownie with three layers looks nicer too! If you want to make the recipe even simpler you can mix it all together.
- My suggestion for the topping produces a result which is much crispier. I’ve noticed that some recipes suggest adding butter to coconut and sugar. This could produce a texture which is slightly less crispier. I preferred without butter since there is already enough butter in the brownie, however I was not entirely 100% satisfied with the texture. I will work on it more so please consider the caramelised coconut topping recipe as a work in progress.
- there are two distinct layers in the brownie. However I was not very careful when pouring the second batter over the first batter, hence the reason you see uneven layers. The banana layer is not very noticable, it has been 'overpowered' by the chocolate layer
100 ml flour
100 grams melted butter or oil
½ cup sugar
1 tablespoon (20ml) cocoa powder
¼ cup mashed banana
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
½ teaspoon salt
For the coconut topping (to be updated)
1/3 cup desiccated coconut
1/3 cup sugar
1. Heat oven to 175 degrees
2. Mix butter/oil, sugar, eggs and vanilla extract
3. Add flour, mix well and divide the batter into halves
4. Add mashed banana to one half of the batter, mix well and place in a baking tin
5. Add cocoa powder to the other half of the batter, mix well and pour the batter evenly on top of the banana batter
6. Mix coconut and sugar and sprinkle on top of the batter
7. Bake for 15-20 minutes. To caramelize the sugar, place under a hot broiler for a few minutes or use a blow torch (to be updated).