Sunday, November 27, 2011

Easy Layered Banana Semolina Cake Recipe


Easy Layered Banana Semolina Cake
This is without any doubt one of the most unusual cake recipes I have ever come across. What makes this cake most unusual is that you don’t need to prepare a batter before baking, the batter is made automatically during the baking process. The moisture from the fruits goes into the dry mixture, hence forming the batter. Amazing. 

The cake has 5 layers. The top and bottom layer of the cake is crispy and crumbly while the middle layer has a cake like texture. The other two layers are banana mash. It is a delight to eat, almost like a cookie sandwich with crispy outers and soft creamy filling. 

A 5 layered cake with different textures looks more sophisticated than a regular cake and generally requires a lot of effort to make. But not this cake, it is incredibly easy to prepare.


This incredible recipe comes from With a Glass. If you are not aware of With a Glass, now you know what you are missing out on. The original recipe is for an apple cake. Since I didn’t have apples I substituted with bananas. Apples contain 84% water while bananas contain 74% water. To increase the moisture content of bananas I added milk to the mashed bananas.

If there is not enough moisture in the banana layer the bottom layer could be a little too crumbly, but still very delicious.  I didn’t add enough milk to my mashed bananas and parts of the bottom layer were powdery and crumbly. I think I used about 80ml milk. Next time I will either add more milk or use more banana mixture in the bottom layer. This will transfer more moisture to the bottom later and a lighter upper layer will help the cake to rise more perhaps.

Ingredients
3 medium sized bananas (about ½ kg)
80-100ml milk
1 cup semolina
1 cup flour
1 cup sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
70- 100 g butter (I used coconut oil)
Pinch of salt

Directions
1.      Grease a baking dish with diameter at least 20 cm
2.      Mash the bananas, add milk and mix well, The mixture should not be too runny, it should have consistency of thick cream
3.      Mix together the flour, semolina, salt, baking powder and sugar
4.      Spread 1/3 of the flour mixture evenly in the baking dish
5.      Evenly spread half of the banana mixture on top of the flour mixture 
6.      Spread another 1/3 of the flour mixture over the banana mixture
7.      Evenly spread the remaining half of the banana mixture over the flour mixture  
8.      Spread the remaining 1/3 of the flour mixture over the banana mixture
9.      Completely cover the top layer with thinly slices of butter or coconut oil
10.  Bake at 180C/360F until golden brown and delicious, about 50-60 minutes
11.  Serve warm, or cold if there are any leftovers


Easy Layered Banana Semolina Cake

8 comments:

  1. That is pretty interesting - I have not seen this technique used on a cake before.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You got me at "Easy". (Hmm, think I've said that before). Yes, I've seen Sissi's amazing apple cake. I think I'd like to try this with bananas, since I have them on hand. Do you think adding some chocolate chips in the flour layer would be alright?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Btw, how much milk did you use with the mashed bananas and what would be your recommended amount? Ta.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mr. Three-Cookies, I have to say once more your version looks beautiful and the modification is stunningly creative (I have already made this cake with pears, but my imagination wouldn't go as far as bananas!). Thank you once more for making me happy on this sad Monday (I hate usually Mondays, but you have made me forget this hated day). Thank you for the link and the kind mention of my blog. I am very grateful for these.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cher: me neither

    ping: that’s great thinking, I think chocolates should work brilliantly, like chocolate chip cookie
    I think I used around 80 ml milk. Its difficult to find the right amount. The top and middle layer were great, the bottom layer was slightly crumbly but it still tasted really delicious. Next time I will make it I will either add more milk, or use more banana mixture in the bottom layer. This will transfer more moisture and also a lighter upper layer will help the cake to rise more perhaps

    Sissi: I had no choice since there were no apples and I am glad because bananas tasted delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  6. really interesting! In India, we make something similar without the banana. :)

    -
    Kavi | Edible Entertainment
    Please do participate in my ongoing events:
    Jingle All The Way &
    Microwave Easy Cooking

    ReplyDelete
  7. love the reflection on the last pic!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful recipe! Thank you for sharing it with us! I just can't wait for the holiday to pass to try it out! By the way I wish you a Merry Christmas and A Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...