Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Coconut Semolina Macaroons with Nutella Recipe

Coconut Semolina Macaroons
First of all a small confession. I didn’t use Nutella even though it says it in the title. The ‘thing’ in the photo looks like Nutella but it is Nöt-Crème, a Swedish product similar to Nutella. I haven’t tasted Nutella and Nöt-Crème side by side but I would say Nöt-Crème is better because it has higher hazelnut content. I know most of you are probably Nutella fans and probably have never heard of Nöt-Crème. Just to keep peace, I will say that Nutella is also good, but not better than Nutella.

Anyway, now that the Nutella issue is sorted, lets move on to the main item, the macaroons. The macaroons are light, crunchy and chewy. Semolina gives it a nice crunch. It is not overly sweet. If you prefer a sweeter macaroon, please increase the sugar content. 

As you can guess from the photos I was in a great hurry to test drive these macaroons, hence the reason I didn't decorate the macaroons neatly with Nöt-Crème. Next time I will be more patient and try to make these macaroons look prettier. They tasted delicious though.

Adopted with modifications from epicurious and allrecipes

Ingredients
1 1/3 cups flaked coconut
1/3 cup sugar
1/8 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons semolina
2 egg whites
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
Nutella or Nöt-Crème (optional) 

Directions
1.      Toast the coconut. I prefer to do this on the stove top. Toss the coconut in a pan placed over medium heat and roast until golden brown, stirring continuously. Alternatively place the coconut on an oven tray and bake at 170°C/340°F for 3-4 minutes until lightly toasted, stirring frequently. 
2.      In a small bowl, combine the coconut, sugar, semolina and salt. Stir in egg whites and vanilla; mix well. 
3.      Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls onto greased baking sheets. Bake at 160°C/325°F for 18-20 minutes or until golden brown.

7 comments:

  1. These cookies look and sound wonderful!! I know my family would love me to make these for them! Many blessings, your friend, Catherine xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmhhh, those look and sound divine!

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sooo making these on the weekend! Will need a little sugar after an ocean swim on Saturday. Is Not-creme the two coloured choco nut spread?I love hazelnuts and as a child I'd sometimes just try to eat the white part from the jar....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Martyna: Nöt-Crème is the same as nutella, its not the 2 colored choco nut spread.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nutella or not, your macaroons look so delicious and moist and a bit sticky (in a good way) which is exactly what I love about macaroons :) By the way it's great to see you used semolina! I love baking with it :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...