These cookies are sugar free and butter free and very delicious. I decided to convert a regular oatmeal sultana cookie recipe into a sugar free version by simply increasing the fruit content. And I replaced the butter with vegetable oil. And it worked pretty well. The cookies have an excellent texture, crunchy on the outside and slightly soft and chewy on the inside.
I used raisins and bananas, which I find to be a really nice combination. The smell of baking banana's is quite pleasant. Banana's also made the cookies moist while the outside remained crispy.
I used pieces of frozen bananas, I found it easier to work with. However I don't think using fresh banana's would do any harm since the bananas become soft during baking anyway.
½ cup vegetable oil, softened coconut oil or softened butter
1 large egg
1½ cups rolled oats
¾ cup flour
½ teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
1 cup fruits (I used raisins and frozen banana)
½ cup dessicated coconut (optional)
1 tablespoon dark syrup (optional)
- Heat the oven to 180°C/360°F
- Mix oil or butter and syrup until creamy
- Add egg and beat well until it turns pale
- Add flour, oats, baking soda and salt and mix well
- Stir in fruits
- Drop tablespoons onto baking sheet, flatten and bake on a higher rack until light brown, about 15 minutes