Tuesday, December 21, 2010

3-Ingredient Oatmeal Cookies Recipe

Light, airy, crunchy and slightly crumbly, only 3-ingredients and no butter...
3-Ingredient Oatmeal Cookie, with chocolate
Yes this recipe just uses 3 ingredients, and cake mix is not one of them! And neither is butter, so it’s a butterless cookie. 

The recipe was developed out of necessity. I haven’t been shopping for a while and there is no flour, no raisins, no butter and very little coconut and butter/margarine in my pantry. I really felt like having oat cookies and with limited ingredients I had to become creative.

What I did have in the pantry was eggs, sugar and oatmeal: a liquid + a sweetener + carbs = 3-ingredient oatmeal cookies. And it worked. If you have a better stocked pantry, you can add dried fruits and nuts, or even fresh bananas. Or even add chocolate chips. However it would no longer be a 3-ingredient oatmeal cookie. Its your choice - maintaining the integrity of the 3-ingredient cookie or having perhaps a nicer tasting cookie:)


The cookies turned out light, airy, crunchy and slightly crumbly, and not eggy unless you use really old eggs I suppose.

What I often do is freeze the dough, and I did the same today. In the evening I could not resist the thought of munching on some of these cookies so I baked some cookies from frozen dough, without defrosting. It worked fine, just as good as fresh dough. I sliced the frozen dough about half cm thick and baked frozen. Why wait and defrost when you can slice and bake:)



Ingredients
300ml rolled oats
100ml sugar
1 small egg

Instructions
1.  Preheat oven to 175 degrees and toast oats until brown, about 15-20 minutes
2.  Crush the oats coarsely
3.   Mix egg and sugar thoroughly until it turns light
4.   Fold in oats
5.    Drop tablespoons on a well greased baking tray
6.     Flatten with wet fork
7.      Bake for 10-12 minutes until slightly golden and delicious

14 comments:

  1. Looks too simple to be true...so I decided to try it. They are addictive, next time I will try with golden syrup, sultanas and peanuts.

    Thanks for the recipe

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheap Ethnic Eatz: thanks for visiting. And tasty...

    ReplyDelete
  3. these look gr8! i would totally add some freshly grated coconut too :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would have never believed this would have worked. I used egg beaters for the eggs and added some raisins and chocolate chips. They are delicious! Worked great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to hear that, raisins and choc chip sounds yummy. I recently made them with dessicated coconut, was nice.

      Delete
  5. can you replace the sugar with Stevia and make them super healthy?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't tried with stevia but it should work- Sugar adds texture but it shouldn't be a big issue in this case. Good luck and let us know how it went

      Delete
  6. What exactly is 300ml oat and 100ml sugar

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting.
      One cup is about 250ml. So 300ml is one cup and one fifth more.
      Half cup is 125ml. Quarter cup is 60ml. So 100ml is between quarter cup and half cup.
      Hope this helps.

      Delete
    2. I'm sure it didn't

      Delete
    3. It did if you aren't a thumbless douchebag.

      Delete
  7. Bake it at what temp though????

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...