Saturday, February 19, 2011

Beetroot Cake Recipe

Beetroot cupcake
Beetroot cake is not as common as carrot cake and I wondered why. The main explanation I could come up with was the fact that carrots are more easily available than beetroots. They are both sweet root vegetables and requires similar procedures for preparing a cake. But beetroot looks nicer!

Most beetroot cake recipes I found on the internet were for chocolate beetroot cake, plain beetroot cakes were less common. Again I asked myself why? Why is beetroot being treated differently. I am sure beetroot and chocolate is a great combination, and so is carrot and chocolate. But carrot cakes recipes are more popular than carrot chocolate cake recipes. I suppose some questions are best left unanswered.

One of the more appealing aspects of working with beetroot is the beautiful red color. Here is a photo of the dough before it went into the oven. When it comes to good looks, beetroot cake dough is unbeetable!

Beetroot cake dough

The dough loses some of the red color during baking but taste is important. And it did not disappoint. The cake was surprisingly quite light and moist. If you prefer a more dense cake you can half the amount of baking powder or increase the amount of beetroot.

The beetroots can be either cooked or uncooked. I had baked beetroots which I chopped finely. Uncooked beetroot will work fine, just as uncooked carrots does.

Ingredients
2 cups flour
2 large beetroots, grated
1 cup sugar
230 ml oil
4 eggs beaten
3 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon cinnamon powder


Instructions
1.       Preheat oven to 175 degrees
2.      Sift the flour, baking power, salt and cinnamon powder, then add beetroot
3.      In a separate bowl mix the sugar, eggs and oil thoroughly
4.      Combine the wet and dry mixtures
5.      Pour the mixture into to two greased loaf tins or cake pans
6.      Bake until done, about 40 minutes.

6 comments:

  1. That is new to me .. cake with beet root huh!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kankana: thank you for visiting. Its similar to carrot, works quite well and looks delicious too

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never heard of this recipe either, but it looks like it turns out real well and I have no doubt that it was delicious. I hope you'll come by and link it up to Sweets for a Saturday #5. http://sweet-as-sugar-cookies.blogspot.com/2011/02/sweets-for-saturday-5.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very original! I bet it tastes delicious.

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Loved the beetroot cake, my friends liked it as well and wanted the recipe.

      Delete
    2. Thanks Susan for the feedback, glad to hear the cake was well received

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...