Sunday, November 18, 2012

Gluten Free Coconut Oat (ANZAC) Cookies Recipe


Gluten Free Coconut Oat Cookies
Few days ago I posted a recipe for sugar free, butter free and egg free cookies, but the cookies had flour. This time it is a flour less cookie. It is also gluten free but please double check the ingredients.

I adopted the recipe for ANZAC Cookies, replacing flour with oat flour. Oat flour makes the cookies lighter and adds a slight nutty flavor. In this case the nuttiness did not matter since the original cookies are already quite nutty because of oats and coconut.

Please see my earlier post on ANZAC Cookies for an explanation on different ingredients, and whether or not you can substitute. As I wrote in my earlier post, ANZAC Cookies are really temperamental. I have made them many times and they turn out different just about every time, but always delicious. I made this particular gluten free cookies twice, and they were quite different both times, but delicious. In the first batch the cookies really spread a lot and became quite thin. I should have left them as balls on the baking tray. The second time they didn’t spread so much. I suppose minute changes in the amount of butter affects how the cookie spreads. My suggestion is to make a batch but bake only a few to see how the cookies react. If they spread a lot leave them as balls on the baking tray, otherwise flatten them slightly.

Once baked and still warm the cookies will be very soft and delicate. Let it cool for a few minutes before trying to move them. Once cooled the cookies will be light, crispy, chewy and very delicate. Handle with care.

Gluten Free Coconut Oat Cookies
 Ingredients
125g butter (I used coconut oil and butter)
2¼ cups rolled oats
1 cup desiccated coconut
¾ - 1 cup sugar (I used ¾ cup)
1 tablespoon (20ml) golden syrup
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 (20ml) tablespoons boiling water

Directions
  1. Heat the oven to 180°C/360°F
  2. Blend 1¼ cup oats until it has a soft flour like consistency. It takes a few minutes. You should end up with a cup of oat flour, but measure it just to be sure
  3. Melt butter and golden syrup in a saucepan
  4. Mix baking soda with boiling water and add to the butter mixture
  5. Combine all dry ingredients then add melted mixture and mix well
  6. Roll teaspoonfuls of the mixture into balls, place on baking tray and flatten slightly
  7. Bake until golden brown and delicious, approx 10-15 minutes


Gluten Free Coconut Oat Cookies

4 comments:

  1. I will definitely try these beautiful biscuits soon! I love and prepare ANZAC biscuits (thanks to you!) and oats too, so I am sure I will love this version too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are most welcome, and good luck with these new ones

      Delete
  2. Oats and coconut are two of my favorite cookie ingredients! These sound wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. 3 Studies SHOW How Coconut Oil Kills Waist Fat.

    This means that you literally get rid of fat by eating coconut fats (including coconut milk, coconut cream and coconut oil).

    These 3 studies from major medical journals are sure to turn the traditional nutrition world upside down!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...