Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Glamorgan Vegetarian Sausages Recipe

Glamorgan Sausage 


Mention Britain and we probably think of fish and chips.
Mention Ireland and we probably think of Guinness and Irish Stew.
Mention Scotland and we probably think of whisky and fried Mars bars (maybe).
Mention Wales and we probably hit a blank.

Personally I have never come across a Welsh dish, other than Welsh rarebit, which I didn't think came from Wales. Just like Afghan Cookies are not from Afghanistan.

Wales does have a few interesting dishes, glamorgan sausage being one of them. And surprisingly it is vegetarian, if you consider an egg to be vegetable, or non-meat. Glamorgan sausage is also known as poor mans sausage because it has no meat. 

The sausage is made from a few very basic ingredients which are most probably sitting in your pantry and refrigerator. Even though the ingredients are pretty basic, the result really surprised me. I found it absolutely delicious, crunchy on the outside and firm but soft on the inside. It reminded me of a pie that I ate in New Zealand, and which I haven’t seen anywhere else. I don’t remember the name and it wasn’t quite a regular pie. The pie was coated with bread crumbs and either deep fried or baked. It was cheesey inside. Glamorgan sausage has very similar smell and taste. 

The recipe suggests caerphilly cheese. Caerphilly cheese is a hard, white crumbly cheese originating from the area around the town of Caerphilly in Wales. It generally has a fat content of around 48%. I didn’t have caerphilly cheese so I substituted with cheddar. It was perfect. Maybe next time I will try feta.

Glamorgan Sausage 
 
Recipe adopted from Telegraph

Ingredients
4 cups (250g) fresh white breadcrumbs
200g Caerphilly cheese (or use cheddar)
75g leek (white part) or spring onions or regular onions, finely chopped
1 tablespoon dried mixed herbs (or 1 tablespoon fresh parsley and ½ teaspoon thyme)
2 eggs lightly whisked
1½ teaspoon English or Dijon mustard
3 tablespoon milk
Salt and pepper
Butter for shallow frying

Directions
  1. Mix together 170g of the breadcrumbs, cheese, milk, leek or onion, herbs, salt and pepper. I put everything in a food processor and pulsed it. Note: only use 170 grams breadcrumbs, set aside the rest for coating the sausage
  2. In a separate bowl mix the eggs with mustard and set aside about ¼. This will be for coating the sausage
  3. Add the rest of the eggs to the breadcrumb mixture and mix until a paste is formed.
  4. Divide the mixture into 12 and shape each portion into a sausage. Refrigerate for 10-20 minutes so it sets (optional)
  5. Coat the sausages with the egg mixture, followed by the breadcrumbs. Refrigerate for 30 minutes (optional)
  6. Heat frying pan over medium heat and shallow fry the sausage until golden brown and delicious, about 5-8 minutes.
Glamorgan Sausage 



11 comments:

  1. I have never heard about glamorgan sausage(or any Welsh food for that matter) but it sounds delish and looks scrumtious! Aaah, cheese and mustard! With a tall glass of beer, on a cold November day like it is today in Boston:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You shouldn't have mentioned beer - now I can't concentrate on work. Beer now would be so good...
      Welsh food is really unknown.

      Delete
    2. Hang on there a little! It's almost end of workday in Sweden, isn't it?;-)

      Delete
  2. It looks extremely tempting (and the whole idea of making such a dish is totally food geeky of course!). I have just checked the cheese and it looks very similar to parmesan in texture! Very intriguing too... If I ever make a Welsh dish, this might be the first one! Now that I think of potatoes... have you ever tried making Japanese croquettes? The ones I posted with potatoes, meat, mushrooms and carrots? You would love them!
    (By the way I like Telegraph a lot!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you.
      I have never seen that cheese either but as you say it seems to have similar texture to parmesan, or maybe feta.
      Thanks for the reminder on Jap croquettes. I must make them soon.

      Delete
  3. I've never heard o this kind of sausage before! Very intrigued.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have never heard of a sausage liek this, wow. If there's no meat, is it still considered a sausage?? Like sissi, it reminds me more of a croquette. But whatever the name, I must say it looks bloody good for a vegetarian sausage, especially with that wonderfully crispy golden coating. Yum!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am wondering whether technically it is a sausage. Anyway the Welsh already decided it was a sausage so too late to do anything about this:)

      Delete
  5. Wow! Glamorgan Vegetarian Sausages sound really good and look really delicious too! I think fried is perfect. =) I’ve tried many recipes with sausage in it because they’re my favorite. Thank you for sharing this. I will try this tonight. Cheers!

    Dione Nye

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...