Thursday, July 14, 2011

Easy flat noodles, flat dumplings or fresh pasta recipe

 
I really don’t know what to call these things – flat noodles, flat dumplings or fresh pasta. They are really quick and easy to make, and delicious to eat. Unfortunately they don't look too good in the picture, I will post a better picture soon.

The process of ‘shaping’ the ‘things’ is really simple. Form the dough into a cylindrical shape or pretty much any shape, hold it over a pot of boiling water and use a pair of scissors to cut off from the edge, as thin or as thick as you like. It should fall straight into the pot of water. You can also use the board to cut into shapes but I find my method quicker, less messy and more fun! If you use the board the dough will stick so you need to use flour. I like to avoid such complications if possible.

I made it using basic dough and I have not really experimented with different types of dough. I did try once with polenta but that did not turn out very good. I will certainly keep experimenting and present updates here. I have not tried using eggs. I am sure eggs will add great texture and flavour but this time I kept it as simple as possible. I did not use eggs in the dough but as you see from the photo, I ate it with eggs!
Personally I would make extra dough and store it in the refrigerator for later use. I suppose it can be kept in the refrigerator for a few days. 

Ingredients
Plain flour
Baking powder - 1½ teaspoons for every cup of flour
Enough salt
Seasoning such as chilli powder, garlic powder etc (optional)
Enough water

Directions
1. Mix all the dry ingredients
2. Add enough water to form a dough that is workable – not too dry and not too sticky
3. Knead the dough until smooth, about 10 minutes
4. Let the dough rest in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes
5. Roll part of the dough into a cylindrical shape or any other shape that you prefer
6. Hold it over a pot of boiling water and use a pair of scissors to cut off from the edge, as thin or as thick as you like. It should fall straight into the pot
7. The ‘things’ are done when it comes to the top. Eat is while warm. If will harden a bit and deflate as it cools down. It will be nice again if you eat it cold after a while

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...