Thursday, July 7, 2011

Coconut Oil Shortbread Cookie Recipe

Coconut oil shortbread cookies


These shortbread cookies are made with coconut oil instead of butter. Perhaps I can call these tropical shortbread instead of Scottish shortbread. 

Unlike butter which is 80% fat and 20% water, coconut oil is 100% fat. The cookies will be very short and crumbly if made using coconut oil only. I added some water and it produced a much better result.  

Working with the dough can be quite tricky. The dough is really soft when its warm and it gets really hard quite quickly if it is chilled. If it gets too soft just a few minutes in the refrigerator will harden is sufficiently, making it easier to work with. When the dough is too soft it may seem that there is too much oil in the batter. however it will be fine once baked. If you feel there is too much oil perhaps add a little more flour if you wish, otherwise chill the dough for a few minutes.  The cookie may spread a lot while baking. Mine didn't though.

This recipe is quite challenging and the results can be temperamental. 

Ingredients
½ cup sugar
210ml coconut oil
40 ml water
2-2½ cups flour (you may need a little more)



Directions
  1. Heat oven to 170°C / 340°F 
  2. Mix the coconut oil, water and sugar thoroughly until smooth.
  3. Add flour and mix to get a smooth paste.
  4. Form the dough in the desired shape, preferably about 1 cm thick. Chill the mixture for a few minutes if its gets too difficult to work with
  5. Bake until pale golden-brown, about 15-20 minutes

Coconut oil shortbread cookies

15 comments:

  1. I love the coconut cookie recipes! Fantastic flavors in there I bet!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds good! While I hate the texture of coconut, I love the flavor... So this cookie probably has great coconutty flavor, minus the coconut bits! That's perfect for me... And how interesting that the recipe is in parts!!! That's so useful! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea to use coconut oil instead of butter. I bet they're packed with flavor. I have a sweet treat linky party going on at my blog till Monday night and I'd love it if you'd come by and link your cookies up. http://sweet-as-sugar-cookies.blogspot.com/2011/07/sweets-for-saturday-25.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. I tried them and I think the quantities for the oil and sugar are swapped. They just melted in the oven.
    I looked up some traditional shortbread recipes and indeed, the butter was half the volume of the sugar in them. So I'll try again tomorrow, the new way. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment, really appreciated. I am sorry they didn't work out as you expected. If I remember correctly I added a bit more flour to get the right texture.

      I've checked many sites and the ratios are correct. See the following sites for example:
      http://www.zesterdaily.com/baking/1192-shortbreads-sweet-appeal
      http://glutenfreebetty.blogspot.com/

      This site refers to Ruhlmans ratios but I think there's a typo since one of the sites above also refers to Ruhlmans ratios : http://www.kitchendaily.com/2010/01/28/cookies-without-a-recipe/

      Delete
    2. I've been looking for easy ways to feed coconut oil to my mother who is in a nursing home with advanced Alzheimer's. I tried making fudge (melting & mixing 1 part chocolate and 1 part coconut oil), but it all melted, because her room is too warm.

      I think these will be my next attempt. I've been using "non-virgin" expeller-pressed coconut oil, which has no coconut taste. I guess I'll need to use an extract to give the shortbread a bit of flavour.

      Delete
  5. is the oven temp in Fahrenheit or Celsius?

    ReplyDelete
  6. is the oven temp in Fahrenheit or Celsius?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its in celcius. Thanks for pointing this out, I've just updated the recipe

      Delete
  7. I had the same experience as nivchek. I added a bunch of flour to the second batch and they look slightly better. They aren't cool enough to tell if they will keep their shape when removed from the pan.
    They have a very good flavor, they just melt in my hand.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I had the same experience as nivchek. I added a bunch of flour to the second batch and they look slightly better. They aren't cool enough to tell if they will keep their shape when removed from the pan.
    They have a very good flavor, they just melt in my hand.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This did not turn out good at all :/ A flakey fall apart mess. Flavor is good, but the cookies did not hold together at all! Guess I will use it as a topping for something so it's not a total loss.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry to hear that, this recipe is challenging for sure.

      Delete
    2. I've updated the recipe - it is a lot firmer now.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...