|Coconut polenta cookies|
It seems to me that polenta is an under-rated baking ingredient. I don't see so many polenta recipes. Its crunch texture, nutty flavour and aroma makes it a great addition to cookies, cakes and other treats.
One of the first treats I made using polenta was . After that I was pretty much hooked and since then I have experimented with numerous treats. When it comes to cookies, I have made both dense versions such as the polenta cookie logs as well as lighter cookies such as the recipe below. Both types of cookies are fantastic.
The inspiration for coconut polenta cookie comes from , one of my favourite cookies. I modified the recipe for .
The coconut polenta cookies are relatively light and airy. The cookies are crunchy on the outside and chewy in the inside.
Addition of golden syrup is optional. Golden syrup makes the cookies crunchier and chewier. The cookies will still be very delicious without golden syrup.
½ cup butter, room temperature
½ cup sugar
½ cup fine polenta
½ cup coconut
½ cup flour
1 large egg
1 tablespoon golden syrup
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon baking powder
1. Thoroughly mix butter and sugar until fluffy and pale
2. Add the egg, golden syrup and vanilla and mix well
3. Add polenta, coconut and baking powder and mix
4. Add about half of the flour and mix. Add more flour if needed. You may need more or less flour depending the on the size of the egg
5. Chill the dough for an hour
6. Preheat oven to 160 degrees
7. Shape dough into discs about half a centimeter thick
8. Place on greased baking tray with about
2 centimeter space between then
9. Bake until cookies start to brown about the edges, about 15 to 18 minutes.