|Vanilla coconut oat drop cookies|
These coconut cookies are really quick and easy to prepare. And they will disappear just as quickly. The cookies are crispy on the outside and soft on the inside with an intense coconut flavour.
If you want the coconut flavour to be even more intense you can replace some or all of the milk with coconut milk, and the butter/margarine with coconut oil. I have not tried this but it should work just as well.
I used a mixture of plain flour and rolled oats. Using rolled oats is optional. Once you add the rolled oats, act quickly otherwise the oats will start to absorb the milk and become mushy. I added the oats to the dough just before it is ready for the baking tray.
The recipe uses ½ cup milk and ¼ cup butter. You can vary these ratios to suit your taste. I have made coconut cookies using only milk and it is very nice though it lacks the ‘butteriness’.
½ cup flour
½ cup rolled oats
¾ cup sugar
1 cup dessicated coconut
½ cup milk
¼ cup butter, melted
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
1½ teaspoons baking powder
1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees celcius
2. Mix milk, melted butter, sugar, coconut and vanilla essence and let this mixture rest for 30 minutes to allow the coconut to soak
3. In a separate bowl sieve flour and baking powder and mix well
4. Mix the wet and dry ingredients well but don’t overmix
5. Add rolled oats and incorporate, don’t overmix
6. Drop teaspoons on a greased baking tray and place on the upper rack of the oven
7. Bake until golden brown and delicious, about 15-20 minutes