|Polenta Cookie Logs|
These cookies are crispy, slightly chewy, dense and have an intense flavour. It is similar to a shortbread but the polenta adds more crunch and a slightly different texture and flavour. Overall a very addictive cookie. Friendly warning - once you start you can’t stop!
If the dough seems dry and crumbly, don't worry. It will turn out fine during baking as the sugar and syrup do their work! If you concerned you can refrigerate the dough for 30 minutes before baking.
If you want to make the logs lighter, you can replace some of the butter with egg. I tried this recipe by substituting half of the butter with oil and it worked fine.
- 1 cup polenta
- 1 cup flour
- ½ cup butter
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons golden syrup
- Preheat the oven to 170 degrees
- Mix polenta and flour
- In a separate bowl beat together the butter, sugar and syrup until pale and fluffy
- Add the dry ingredients and mix until incorporated. Do not overmix
- Chill the mixture for 30 minutes (optional)
- Shape as desired and bake until the cookies are golden brown and delicious, about 15 minutes