|Spinach in Blue Cheese Sauce with Fusilli|
This is a simple dish that can be ready in about 10-15 minutes. It is packed with flavour and nutrition.
For the blue cheese sauce I used equal amounts of blue cheese and crème fraiche. The cheese I used was soft ripened. It had an intense flavour, hence only a small amount was needed.
Instead of crème fraiche you can use buttermilk, yogurt, cream or milk.
There is no need to blitz the sauce since the cheese will melt when you add to the warm spinach.
The recipe does not have amounts. I estimated the amounts when cooking. The only thing to be careful of is the amount of sauce. If you add too much you will have to add more spinach to balance it, and this will be tricky. Use less sauce to start with and add more if necessary.
Meat such as bacon or smoked sausage (optional)
Garlic, minced or finely chopped
1. If using meat, fry it in oil over medium heat until caramelised
2. Add onions and cook until translucent
3. Add garlic and cook for a minute or two before it starts to brown
4. Add spinach and seasoning
5. Cook until the spinach is done
6. Add blue cheese sauce and let it warm through
7. To prepare blue cheese sauce, mix blue cheese and crème fraiche.