Sunday, March 3, 2013

Goulash Recipe


Goulash

This goulash tasted good, and it was easy to prepare.

Recipe adopted from Dancing Veggies. As you guessed from the title of the blog, it’s a vegetarian website but my version has pork. The ‘original recipe’ was made with kielbasa style tofurkey sausage. Unfortunately I didn’t have any tofurkeys lying around so I substituted with pork. Amanda from the blog calls her version “The Goulash Gone Vegetarian”. I perhaps should call mine “The Goulash Gone Back to Original”!

I have made something similar with chickpeas and its absolutely delicious. So if you want to have a vegetarian goulash and don’t have any tofurkeys lying around, substitute with chickpeas, tofu or something along those lines. It won’t disappoint, just don’t try serving it to Hungarians.


Goulash


Ingredients
500 grams pork cut into 2 inch pieces 
1 large onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 kg tomatoes, chopped
1 tablespoon oil
½ cup stock 
½ tablespoon Hot Hungarian Paprika
1 tablespoon paprika
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
½ teaspoon cayenne powder
1 teaspoon fresh pepper, plus more to taste

Directions
1.      Heat the oil in a large pan over medium heat. Add the pork and cook until it starts to turn brown.
2.      Add the onion and garlic and cook for about 5 minutes, until the onions turn soft.
3.      Add the tomatoes and cook for 10-15 minutes, stirring frequently to help the tomatoes break down and to prevent sticking. 
4.      Turn heat to high and add the stock along with the spices, bringing to a quick boil. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes. 

17 comments:

  1. Lovely stew! The flavors here just sound fantastic. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Paprika x 3 ... love it! Stopping by from www.itsgoodtobethecook.com for the SRC March Reveal. Can't wait to read more from your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your goulash sounds and looks wonderful, great SRC choice. If you haven't already, I'd love for you to check out my SRC entry Loaded Potato Soup.

    Lisa~~

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had you! Love goulash! It is the perfect winter dish!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've always wanted to make goulash but my husband has horrible memories of it from his childhood...so maybe I'll save it for when he's out of town. Great looking dish!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your Goulash looks delicious, it is a great dish. Thanks for sharing and have a good week.
    Visiting from Group B SRC.
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  7. YUM! Sounds really good. I'm a fellow SRC member...group D

    ReplyDelete
  8. This goulash sounds fantastic and perfect for these last few cold winter weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  9. OH! I haven't made goulash in ages. This one is going on my 'make it while it's still cold' list!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This sounds great, with or without the meat!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It looks fantastic and I suppose if you added less tomatoes and some potatoes, you would obtain a gulyàs very close to the Hungarian one (the colour in most Hungarian dishes comes from sweet paprika, not tomatoes, which are often added in small amounts). You have just inspired me to make the first guylas in my life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gulyàs sounds like goulash, would love to try. Potatoes would go quite well. Glad to have inspired you, and you have inspired me to make my first gulyàs also:)

      Delete
  12. this sounds awesome! great choice for SRC :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Goulash is so easy and comforting. Nice pick for the SRC. I might have to cook up a pot this week.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What? You didn't have any tofurkeys laying around? For shame! JK, your version of goulash sounds delicious. It's a great dish for cold winter days.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a wonderful Winter dish - looks delicious and I just love goulash!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...