Thursday, February 21, 2013

Caramelised Onion Sourdough Bread Recipe


Caramelised Onion Sourdough Bread
Caramelised Onion Sourdough Bread Recipe
The few times that I had onion bread, I loved it. I wonder why it is not more popular considering that onion is not an expensive ingredient. 

Caramelised onions add nice flavor, aroma and moistness to bread.

I've read about two ways of preparing onion bread. One method involves sautéing the onions. The other method involved baking the onions in an oven until it turns dry and golden. 

I have only tried the first method but the second method sounds pretty appealing as well since the onions may retain a bit more texture. 

Caramelised Onion Bread


Adopted from Food.

Ingredients
2 cups proofed sourdough starter
1 onion, chopped
1 tablespoon oil
¼ cup water
3 cups flour (plain, whole wheat, oat or a combination)
1 teaspoon salt


Directions
1.      Add oil to frying pan and heat over medium high heat. Add onions and sauté, stirring regularly, until onions start to turn soft. Reduce heat to medium low, cover and cook until onions turn golden. Let it cool
2.      Mix all the ingredients together
3.      Knead the dough on a floured surface until well combined and dough is slightly elastic 
4.      Shape into a loaf or place in a loaf tin
5.      Let it rise until it has doubled in size. It may take a couple of hours, or longer
6.      Make diagonal slashes in top of loaf with a razor blade or very sharp knife.
7.      Bake at 190°C/375°F until done, about 40 to 50 minutes



Caramelised Onion Bread

2 comments:

  1. Oh, what a beauty! Sourdough is my favorite kind of bread!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks so appetising and beautiful with the onion circles on top! I am impressed that you have made a sourdough starter. I have never felt brave enough to do it... I will certainly try your recipe one day (when I feel brave to make the sourdough).

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...