Sunday, February 3, 2013

Oreo Cookies Recipe


Oreo Cookies


The cookies in the picture don't look like real Oreo's, but the taste is pretty close, except for the cream. I didn’t make the cream as suggested in the recipe below. Instead I filled the cookies with a simple custard.

Did you know that Oreo is the best selling cookie in the US? In China, Oreo's were introduced in 1996, and by 2006 it became the best selling cookie. The Chinese Oreo has lower sugar content. There was a marketing campaign to educate Chinese consumers about the American tradition of pairing milk with cookies. I thought this was brave, considering that most Chinese people are lactose intolerant. One study even estimates that up to 90% of adults are lactose intolerant.

If you want to try something different, consider Coconut Oat Oreo Cookies. Personally I prefer this version, it has coconut and oats in it.   


OREO Cookies


Ingredients
2 ½ cups flour
½ cup cocoa
½ salt
1 cup unsalted butter
1 cup sugar
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla

Cream Filling
1¼ teaspoon unflavored gelatin
2 tablespoon cold water
½ cup shortening
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2½ cups powdered sugar

 Directions
1.      To make the cookies
2.      Heat oven to 175°C/350°F
3.      Mix flour, cocoa, and salt
4.      In a separate bowl cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add egg and vanilla and mix until well combined
5.      Add flour mixture and mix well
6.      Roll the dough on a lightly floured surface
7.      Cut cookies and freeze for five minutes.
8.      Bake for 8 minutes.  Cool completely before filling with cream.
9.      To make the cream filling.
10.  Combine the gelatin and water in a small bowl.  Place the bowl into a larger bowl of hot water and leave it there until the gelatin is completely dissolved
11.  Let the gelatin mixture cool to room temperature
12.  In a medium bowl beat shortening until fluffy.  Add vanilla and mix well. Add sugar a little at a time, beating until the mixture comes together. 
13.  Add gelatin and mix well. Use immediately, or store, well-wrapped at room temperature.

OREO Cookies


13 comments:

  1. They look amazing! I love the addition of coconut of course and I'm impatient to try making these on my own on day. I still am reluctant to taste Oreos... I have heard they have lots of calories and are awfully sweet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The one I made was slightly sweet, I used half the amount of sugar, and the custard was not very sweet. Otherwise sweet cookies with sugar icing can be a bit too much

      Delete
  2. Oh, I believe that Oreos are the #1 seller - I think my daughter eats half of them on her own... (Not truly, but she might if I brought them into the house more often than occasionally)

    Fun recipe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They can be pretty addictive, and with aggressive marketing as well

      Delete
  3. Thanks for sharing my recipe!! What a great surprise. I really appreciate. And I look forward to trying them with the custard you used and with coconut and oats. I absolutely love coconut!!

    Thanks again!!
    Christy

    ReplyDelete
  4. nice choice for SRC! i love the coconut twist :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've always wanted to make homemade oreos! Definitely a great choice for SRC!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yum! I've seen many recipes for Oreo cookies. these sound yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. 90% are lactose intolerant? My goodnessI never would have known that. I like the idea of making Oreos myself. Much better to know what's in them I think!

    ReplyDelete
  8. As much as I love Oreos this recipe may be WAY too dangerous to know about.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...