Thursday, December 27, 2012

Herring Omelet Recipe


Herring Omelet

Nice, easy and nutritious dish. Of all the fishes, herring has one of the highest  levels of omega 3. Omega 3 is good for your brains. 

Even though herring is one of the healthier fishes, it is quite reasonably priced. Good things don't necessarily have to be the most expensive all the time. The less awareness there is of herring and its benefits, the better it is for us!



Herring Omelet
Ingredients
About 100 grams herring, fresh or smoked, diced into cm squares
2 eggs, beaten
¼ onion, finely diced
Oil

Directions
  1. Add oil to non-stick frying pan and place over medium high heat
  2. Add onions and cook until tender. Reduce heat to medium
  3. Mix together eggs and herring, add to frying pan and cook until the bottom starts to turn brown. Turn over and cook the other side.
  4. Add salt and pepper to taste

10 comments:

  1. Fried herring? I've never tried! We eat it pickled (marinated) in brine or in oil. I am not sure I can get fresh herring... or smoked for that matter... :-(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, the herring is raw when added to eggs. It cooks fast though. Pickled herring (in brine and other liquids, not oil) is very common here, almost one of the national dishes:)

      Delete
  2. I've actually never had herring. Sounds great in this omelet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess herring is popular or easily available in not many countries

      Delete
  3. As I have said this is probably the most original omelet I have ever seen. And I am glad to learn another unusual herring recipe too. I must try it one day. Have you ever counted how many herring recipes you have already posted? I'm sure the number is impressive!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I haven't counted the recipes but I don't think its that much. I will do it and maybe create a separate category

      Delete
  4. This content is simply exciting and creative. I have been deciding on a institutional move and this has helped me with one aspect. electric omelet maker

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks pretty good. I was thinking of adding green peppers to it as well. I have a tasty Salmon (any canned fish will work) Patty receipe of my own you can try- fry until tender green peppers and onions in olive oil, butter, with Italian herb blend sprinkled on top. Open a can of Salmon and mix in a bowl with onions and peppers. Add an egg in mix and sprinkle Italian bread crumbs on both sides of fish patty and fry in pan with olive oil (you can bake it after this for an extrac20 min at 350F if it’s not crispy enough from the frying pan cooking on medium heat). Tell me if you like this. I will check back on this comment in a month or so. Nice blog. Cheers.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...