Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Crème Caramel Recipe


Crème Caramel

This is a lighter recipe that uses milk instead of cream. Many of the recipes I saw online used milk instead of cream. I don’t know the history of crème caramel but I presume it was initially made with cream but now the milk based versions are becoming more popular. I have never tried crème caramel made with cream but I think I would prefer the milk based version because of lightness. 

I've also tried  crème caramel made with oat milk and the result was absolutely fantastic. I preferred the oat milk version. In addition to bringing extra flavour, oat milk also added a bit of color.

Recipe Source: Mary Berry

Ingredients
For the caramel
160g/6oz sugar
6 tablespoon water
Unsalted butter, for greasing the ramekins

For the custard
4 eggs
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
25g/1oz sugar
600ml full-fat milk

Directions
  1. Heat oven 150°C/300°F. Warm the ramekins in the oven, so they are warm when the caramel is poured in.
  2. First make the caramel. Pour the sugar and six tablespoons of water into a clean stainless steel pan.
  3. Dissolve the sugar slowly, stirring with a wooden spoon over a low heat.
  4. When there are no sugar granules left, stop stirring and boil until the sugar turns a dark copper colour.
  5. Remove immediately from the heat to ensure the caramel does not burn. Quickly pour the caramel into the warmed ramekins. Set aside to cool and become hard. (Do not put in the fridge because the sugar will absorb moisture and go soft and tacky). Once hard, butter the sides of the ramekins above the level of the caramel.
  6. For the custard, whisk the eggs, vanilla extract and sugar together in a bowl until well mixed.
  7. Pour the milk into a saucepan, gently heat over a low heat until you can still just dip your finger in for a moment, then strain the milk through a fine sieve onto the egg mixture in the bowl.
  8. Whisk together until smooth, then pour the mixture into the prepared ramekins.
  9. Stand the ramekins in a roasting tin and fill the tin half-way with boiling water from a kettle.
  10. Cook in the oven for about 20-30 minutes or until the custard has set. Do not overcook the custard – check around the edges of the dishes, to make sure no bubbles are appearing.
  11. Take the crème caramels out of the oven, remove the ramekins from the tray and set on a cooling rack. When cool, transfer to the fridge overnight so that the caramel is absorbed into the custard.
  12. To serve, loosen the sides of the custard by tipping the ramekin and loosen with a small palette knife round the edges. Place a serving dish on top of the ramekin and turn upside down.


6 comments:

  1. Lovely crème caramel, Mr. Three-Cookies! As I have mentioned, sweetness is what bothers me most in crème caramel, but I see there is only a tiny amount of sugar in your custard, so maybe the caramel doesn't make it too sweet. I wish I could taste it and judge on my own ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you.
      I used less caramel than suggested so overall it wasn't too sweet, a bit under-sweet actually but I didn't mind!

      Delete
  2. Oh, look at that caramel!!! Now I don't want to eat my breakfast, I want to eat that! :-) And someone is trying to watch his girlish figure, am I right?;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has milk and eggs so its like breakfast, a different version of scrambled eggs:)
      Girlish figure??? I don't know - I will ask friends for their opinion and let you know because my opinion (and eyesight!) might be biased:)

      Delete
  3. I love creme caramels! Interesting about the cream v. milk, but I'd probably take the lighter version as well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. if you wanted to go dairy free and use oatmilk can you switch it for the same quantity as full fat milk? I love crème caramel but trying to stay off dairy for a bit.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...