The dulce de leche flavor is subtle, and the cheesecake is not overly sweet. The cake will certainly benefit from a good drizzling of dulce de leche on top.
⅓ cup (40g) almond meal
¾ cup (105g) plain flour
¼ cup (55g) caster (superfine) sugar
90g butter, chopped
225g (8oz) cream cheese, softened
2 large eggs
1 cup (350g/12½oz) dulce de leche
2 tablespoons flour
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
¼ teaspoon salt
- To make the base, place the almond meal, flour, sugar and butter in a bowl. Rub the mixture with your fingertips until a rough dough forms.
- Line the base of a 20cm-round springform tin with baking paper. Place the base mixture into the base and flatten. Bake at 150°C/350°F until light golden, about 12-15 minutes.
- To make the filling, beat cream cheese, dulce de leche, eggs, flour and vanilla with a whisk until the mixture is smooth.
- Pour batter over the base and bake at 160°C/325°F until the centre is almost set, about 40-50 minutes.
- Remove from oven and run a metal spatula around the rim of the pan to loosen the cheesecake. This helps prevent cracking. Let the cheesecake cool for about 20-25 minutes before covering and placing in the refrigerator. Refrigerate for 4 to 6 hours or overnight before serving.