Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Chocolate Fig Cake Recipe


Chocolate fig cake
Figs and chocolate go really well together. It’s a pity that we don’t see this combination more often.

The cake is moist and slightly gooey inside, crusty outside with crunchy fig seeds throughout the cake. It reminds me of sticky fig pudding and sticky date pudding. Perhaps I can call this sticky chocolate fig pudding.

The cake is pictured with a dollop of crème fraîche. I thought crème fraîche would go well with chocolate fig cake. I ended up putting most of the crème fraîche back into the container. It was good but not great. Ice cream or even a sweet sauce such as butterscotch sauce would have worked better, I think. I was quite happy eating the cake just on its own.

Modified from a recipe for Red Wine Chocolate Cake.

Chocolate fig cake

Ingredients
2 cups flour
1½ cups sugar
½ cup cocoa
8-10 dried figs (or more/less depending on preference)
1 cup oil
1 cup boiling water
2 eggs, beaten
1½ teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
¼ teaspoon salt

Directions
  1. Soak finely chopped figs in boiling water for 20-30 minutes
  2. Grease and flour two 9-inch round baking pans.
  3. Stir together sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder and salt in large bowl.
  4. Add eggs, oil and vanilla; beat on medium speed of mixer for 2 minutes
  5. Add figs and water and mix well. Pour the batter into prepared pans.
  6. Bake at 360°F / 180°C for 30 to 35 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes; remove from pans to wire racks.  


Chocolate fig cake

9 comments:

  1. I adore figs, but I must admit I have never tried them with chocolate before... sounds really interesting! Must try this combination :) Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never thought of combining chocolate and fig together :) but it sounds like a great mix!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the cream quenelle! Have you ever had fig newtons? I love the stuff and cannot get enough of them. Probably because of the crunchy seeds more than anything else. I love figs on their own too, fresh or dried. This sounds really good right now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never had fig newtons. Just had a look on the net, I've eaten something similar made with other fruits. Figs wouldn't be the same without that crunch, its super.

      Delete
  4. Your cakes always look so moist and the photos make me want indulge in them asap :D I love figs - either dried or fresh - but I've never tried combining them with anything (except for the fresh - I eat them with cheese :D). Anyway, I can imagine eating figs with chocolate as I love trying new combinations :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I made this with fresh figs (half blender full) and pureed them (left out the 1 c. water). I also used Hershey's Special Dark Cocoa Powder. Everyone loved it and wanted the recipe. My tree was full of figs this summer and I wanted to do something different. I served it with BlueBell ice cream and chocolate syrup--it was dangerous!

    Lovin' it down in Texas

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mmmm looks amazing! Going to make this with the kids tomorrow I think. I'm allergic to most things in the known universe (may be an exaggeration) so will use rice flour and sub soy yoghurt for the eggs and add vinegar for extra raise. Looking forward to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting Rachel. I am unsure how rice flour will fare since I've never used it in baking. Should be OK. And I hope yogurt and vinegar is a good substitute for eggs. I've used yogurt in baking few times and its great. Good luck.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...