|Butternut snap cookies|
Butternut snap cookies get their name from butter and coconut. They are similar to ANZAC Cookies except butternuts contain eggs and don’t contain rolled oats. They are lighter. Even though it is called butternut, very little butter is used but the butter taste is present for sure. Its almost a diet version of ANZAC Cookies!
The recipe requires cream of tartar and bicarbonate of soda. A substitute for cream of tartar is lemon juice. However I didn't want to use lemon and used baking powder instead of cream of tartar and bicarbonate of soda. It worked fine.
Recipe adopted from Best Recipes.
2 tablespoons butter
¾ cup sugar (original recipe suggests 1 cup)1 egg
½ teaspoon cream of tartar
1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
1½ cups flour, sifted
½ teaspoon vanilla essence
1 cup desiccated coconut
2 tablespoons golden syrup
1 tablespoon milk
- Preheat oven to 360°F / 180°C
- Cream together all the wet ingredients and sugar
- In a separate bowl mix together the rest of the ingredients
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix until incorporated
- Place small balls on a baking tray, flatten and bake until golden brown and delicious, about 10- 12 minutes.