Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Apple Beetroot Semolina Cake Recipe


Apple Beetroot Semolina Cake
The inspiration for this cake came from the Swedish beetroot herring salad I posted a recipe for earlier. The salad has beetroot and apple and it worked fantastically well together so I thought it should work in a cake as well. I decided to exclude pickled herring and onions, maybe I should be more creative and daring! Or maybe you can be more creative and daring!

The cake is really moist. The flavor from the beets is subtle and it complements the apples well. I actually used more beets than it says in the recipe. If you are not a big fan of beets you can reduce the amount of beets, or even eliminate it. However beets enhance the visual appeal of the cake. 

I earlier made beetroot cake and realized that some of the color disappears as the cake cooks. The cake batter looks nicer.

The recipe used half flour and half semolina. If you don’t like or don’t have semolina, you could use just flour. I didn’t try with 100% flour but it should work fine.


Ingredients
75 grams butter, margarine or oil
100ml + 1 tablespoon sugar
100 ml flour, sifted
100 ml semolina
1½ teaspoon baking powder
50ml yogurt
2 eggs
1 apple, cored and sliced (peeling is optional)
1 beetroot, cooked and diced

Directions
1. Heat oven to 175 degrees and grease a 24cm cake tin
2. Cream butter and 100ml sugar. Add the eggs, one at a time, and mix well
3. In a separate bowl mix flour, semolina and baking soda.
4.  Add the flour mixture together with beetroot and yogurt to the butter mixture. Mix well until combined
5. Pour the cake batter in the cake tin
6. Add 1 tablespoon sugar to the apple slices and mix. Place apple slices on top of the batter. It you place it neatly with a good design the cake will taste nicer – remember we eat with our eyes first
7. Bake until cake is done, about 30 minutes. A skewer should come out clean

7 comments:

  1. so glad you submitted a recipe! i love the combo of beets and apples here. :) welcome to the #applelove bloghop!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! I've never tried the combination of beets and apples! Thanks for sharing it on our bloghop! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the color! Amazing it didn't turn brown after baking like it usually does with beetroot. I am going to try this as soon as I can get my hands on some beet. Thanks for sharing:D

    ReplyDelete
  4. So pretty! I would like to try this too. Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, Did you pressure-cook the beets before adding here ? In which case they may possibly lose some of the liquid content. Is it possible that you could share the cup-measure of the cooked beets that you used here ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, btw, a big thank you for sharing ! The web is filled with beet-chocolate recipes, and I'm glad that I discovered your blog. Very creative twist to recipes ;-)

      Delete
    2. Thanks for visiting. I boiled the beetroot. I didn't use a cup measure, but from memory I recall it was a 'regular' sized beetroot, if that helps. Otherwise, when you add the diced beetroot to batter, you can add according to your preference.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...