|Rice Pudding Cake with Coconut Shortbread Base|
Sorry about the quality of the picture, I can promise you it tastes much better than it looks!
Rice pudding, prepared according to the recipe here
4 tablespoons dark syrup
4 large eggs, separated
For the base
1 cup sugar
¼ cup flour, sifted
¼ cup rolled oats
½ cup desiccated coconut
½ cup butter
For the glaze
¼ cup desiccated coconut, toasted
¼ cup daim chocolate drink powder (or mixture of cocoa and icing sugar or just icing sugar)
1. Preheat oven to 160 degrees. Butter 10-inch-diameter springform pan or loaf tin.
2. Whisk egg yolks and syrup and stir into rice pudding
3. Beat egg whites until stiff peaks form.
4. Fold whites into rice mixture
5. To prepare the base, mix sugar, flour and coconut and rub in butter with your fingertips until the mix resembles fine bread crumbs. Spread this mix evenly over the base of tin and press down
6. Pour rice pudding mixture over base and bake until the cake is golden brown and delicious, about 1 hour
7. To prepare the glaze add enough milk to the chocolate drink powder so that the glaze has consistency of thick cream.
8. Spread the glaze on top of the cake. An optional step is to poke lots of tiny holes about 5mm deep using a fork and this will allow the glaze to absorb slightly
9. Sprinkle with desiccated coconut to cover completely.