|Eggplant and blue cheese spread with flat bread|
I got inspiration for this dish from baba ghanoush, an Arabic spread generally made with eggplant, onions, tomatoes and other vegetables. I substituted the onions and tomatoes with blue cheese and it turned out to be a great combination. The spread had the distinctive blue cheese taste without overpowering the eggplant flavour. Overall an excellent combination and I for sure will be making it again.
The amounts I have suggested is based on my taste. You can vary the amount of cheese and cream, as well as the type of cheese to suit your taste. I have not tried this dish with any other kind of cheese. I presume feta cheese would work well.
1 medium eggplant, cut into centimeter cubes
1 medium onion, diced
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1 teaspoon paprika
100 milliliters cream, crème fraiche or yogurt
1 tablespoon oil
1. Heat oil over medium flame
2. Sauté onions until translucent
3. Add garlic, cook for about 30 seconds, don’t let the garlic brown
4. Add eggplant and cook until done, about 15-20 minutes. Stir frequently
5. Reduce heat to low, add paprika, blue cheese and cream and stir through
6. Puree the mixture or leave it chunky
7. Salt throughout the cooking process