Sunday, February 13, 2011

Double Chocolate Coffee (Mocha) Daim Cookie Recipe

Double chocolate coffee daim cookie recipe

This cookie had a myriad of flavours – chocolate, more chocolate, coffee and toffee, with hints of almond and vanilla. And they all work fantastically together. 

This was my first time making a cookie that combines chocolate and coffee. The recipe calls for one tablespoon of coffee which seems a lot. I do love strong coffee but I was a little curious how it would turn out. My curiousity was put to rest and I got comfortable when the aroma starting coming out of the oven. I knew that I was in for a good treat. The coffee flavour is special and works well with the other flavours.   

In spite of being 'double chocolate' the cookies are not overly chocolatey for two reasons. The coffee helps to balance out the chocolate flavour, in a very good way. The second reason is human error - I used half the amount of chocolate chunks by mistake. Thats the reason you don't see too many chocolate chunks in the photo. I was quite happy with the outcome but next time I will try with more chocolate.

The cookies in the photo look a bit innocent but don’t get fooled by their appearance. Underneath the innocent exterior is a flavour packed interior – chocolatey, coffeey, toffeey, chewy, crispy, and if eaten warm, gooey. Whether you eat them warm or cooled, you will be well rewarded. How the cookies fare after a few hours or days is not the kind of information I felt would be useful, so I didn't experiment.

I used O’boy daim chocolate drink powder. O’boy contains crushed daim bar, cocoa, sugar and other ingredients. If O’boy is unavailable where you live, you can substitute with cocoa powder, sugar and roughly chopped or crushed daim bar. I normally would not buy O’boy and similar pre-mixed items but it was really really cheap, cheaper than mixing the items yourself.  

I froze part of the dough, and I am glad I did otherwise I would have finished everything and not left anything for the next time. If you are planning to make this for yourself, freeze part of the dough as soon as possible unless you have strong willpower. And if you are planning to make it for friends and family, time the baking so that the cookies leave the house as soon as possible.

Ingredients
½ cup butter or margarine, room temperature
½ cup sugar
1 cup flour
½ cup O’boy daim 
1 egg, room temperature
1 tablespoon instant coffee
150 grams chocolate chips or chunks
Few drops vanilla

Directions
1.       Preheat oven to 180 degrees
2.      Cream butter/margarine and sugar until light and fluffy
3.      Add egg and vanilla and mix thoroughly
4.      Mix all the dry ingredients in a separate bowl and combine with the wet mixture
5.      Place balls of dough in a baking tray and bake for 10-12 minutes. The cookies will spread so make sure there is a lot of distance between them

7 comments:

  1. Ooohh, those cookies sound packed with lots of delicious flavors. I have a sweet treat linky party that's going on at my blog until 6PM PST tonight and I'd like to invite you to stop by and link your cookies up. http://sweet-as-sugar-cookies.blogspot.com/2011/02/sweets-for-saturday-4.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Delicious cookies!
    So many flavours!
    I'll have to try!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lisa: thanks for visiting and the invite
    Manu: thanks for visiting. Good luck with the recipe

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never heard of daim before but this looks too good to resist! You had me at "double chocolate"...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Xiaolu: I read that Hershey's skor is similar to Daim. I don't know if skor comes in chocolate drink version.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mr. Three-Cookies, I think I come too rarely to Easily Good Eats... These cookies sound exceptional. I have somehow missed them. I would have to go to Ikea shop and buy some Daim bars first. What a torture! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can't thank you enough for this recipe. Even words can't express what I have to say to you. Thank you so much for this fantastic recipe.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...