Thursday, September 1, 2011

Red Wine Coconut Cookies (Biscotti al Vino) Recipe

Red Wine Coconut Cookies
About 2 weeks ago I thought of combining red wine and chocolate in a cake. I thought this was quite unique and did a search on the internet. Guess what, few others had already thought of this before me and created red wine chocolate cakes. Since I had leftover wine that needed to be used I thought why not make red wine cookies. I have never seen or heard of this before. And guess what, the Italians had already thought of this and created Biscotti al Vino. Those Italians quashed my dreams of being the first to create red wine cookies.

With all respect to the Italians and their creativity the recipe can be refined and upgraded quite a lot, and that’s exactly what I did by introducing coconut. I am sure the Italians already thought of adding other ingredients which they are familiar with such as tomatoes but they had not thought of coconut. 

Red wine and coconut is a pairing that I have never come across. Red wine is not normally served with Thai red curry and other coconut based dishes. I wonder why? Will the tannins from the wine conflict with the nuttiness from the coconut? Will the sweetness from the wine conflict with the fattiness from the coconut? I guess we can discuss the merits of a red wine and coconut pairing until the cows come home but there is one thing I know for sure – red wine coconut cookies are delicious. You just have to take my word for it.

The cookies are light and crispy, not very sweet and have a complex flavor.

Adopted from Italian Food

Ingredients
1¾ cups all-purpose flour
½ cup desiccated coconut
2 teaspoons baking powder
¼ teaspoon salt
¼ cup sugar
½ cup vegetable oil
½ cup full-bodied red wine

Directions
1. Mix the flour, baking powder, coconut and salt into a large bowl
2. Stir in the sugar, oil, and wine to form a stiff dough
3. Shape the dough and place them on a lightly greased cookie sheet
4. Bake at 360 F (180 C) for 20 minutes.

Red Wine Coconut Cookies

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...