Sunday, October 5, 2014

Hot, Sweet and Sour Black Pudding Recipe


Hot, Sweet and Sour Black Pudding
At university one of my favourite Chinese dishes was sweet and sour pork. I’ve never made a sweet and sour dish so I thought why not start with hot sweet and sour black pudding. The black pudding I used was made from pigs blood, so it is sort of sweet and sour pork!

The hot, sweet and sour sauce worked really well with black pudding. If you want a quicker alternative, try black pudding with thai sweet chilli sauce. If you don’t like black pudding, this recipe will work well with pork or chicken.

Hot, Sweet and Sour Black Pudding


Ingredients
½ kilogram of black pudding, cubed
1 (20 oz., 566 grams) can pineapple chunks in heavy syrup or juice, undrained
¾ cup packed dark brown sugar
3 tablespoons cornstarch
1/3 cup regular distilled or rice vinegar
1 tablespoon soy sauce
Chili powder to taste
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
4 oz. sugar snap pea pods
8 oz. can sliced water chestnuts, drained
16-20 sweet whole spears baby corn on the cob packed in water, rinsed and drained well

Method
1.      Heat oil in large deep frying pan and sauté black pudding until done. Set aside in a bowl. Drain and wipe the frying pan
2.      Mix cornstarch, chili powder and brown sugar. Stir in pineapple with syrup or juice, and vinegar and soy sauce.  Heat frying pan to medium heat and add cornstarch mixture
3.      Bring to boil and cook until thickened, stirring constantly. Reduce heat.
4.      Add the vegetables, cover and simmer over low heat until cooked, about 10 minutes. Stir occasionally.
5.      Add black pudding and serve.

11 comments:

  1. What a unique twist on my recipe! (I didn't even recognize it, lol!!) But it looks delicious! :D Thanks! And I hope you enjoyed! :D (Kelly from group A!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great recipe! :) Thanks for your comment at my blog - I really enjoyed making a dish from yours! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've tried black pudding a few different ways, but I never would have thought to give it a sweet and sour twist. Great spin on a classic.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've tried black pudding a few different ways, but never would have thought of a sweet and sour variation. Very inventive twist on a classic.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think I'll have to try this with chicken. The flavors sound really good.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have always wanted to try black pudding.Maybe one day..

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, I have missed this one too! Very creative and as you might remember I'm a huge fan of black pudding, so I will certainly test your recipe soon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Its Great post and i realy love it

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...