Sunday, March 4, 2012

Spinach Polenta Chili Crackers Recipe

Spinach Polenta Chili Crackers
These crackers are healthy, low fat and very simple to make. The spinach flavor is mild. If you don’t like spinach but want to eat it, this could be a way. The crackers are great on its own, with dip or as a replacement for nachos. And they are pretty addictive, even though they are healthy!

Spinach Polenta Chili Crackers

Notes
-          I used frozen finely chopped spinach. You don’t need to drain the spinach very thoroughly since water will be added to the dough anyway
-          I used a mixture of semolina and polenta. Semolina and polenta are quite different. Semolina is made from wheat and polenta is made from corn. Polenta is gluten free. There are two types of polenta - fine and course ground. I used fine polenta
-          I prefer to roll the dough directly onto an ungreased baking tray. The dough will stick to the tray but once its baked it will 'unstick' from the pan. If it is still sticky after being baked, it means the crackers are not baked enough since there is still moisture remaining in the crackers. If the dough is too sticky and difficult to roll place a sheet of baking paper over the dough before rolling
-          Cut into shapes before baking. It will be almost impossible to cut after baking since it is really crispy. Alternatively you can bake without cutting and just break into pieces.
-          Watch the crackers during baking as they can quite easily burn. And watch them very closely after its baked and cooled, they will disappear quickly without leaving a trace

Spinach Polenta Chili Crackers

Recipe source: modified from an earlier recipe I posted for polenta/semolina crackers

Ingredients
1 cup flour, sifted
1 cup fine ground polenta or semolina, or mixture of both (I used half and half)
½ cup finely chopped spinach, drained
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 tablespoon oil
Salt to taste
About ½ cup water (I used slightly less)
Chili powder or finely chopped chili to taste
Salt to taste

Directions
  1. Mix flour, baking powder, polenta/semolina and spinach
  2. Make a small well in the middle, add oil and enough water to form the dough. Start with about 100ml water and keep adding a little bit more at a time until the dough is formed. The dough should not be too sticky and dry, it should be workable
  3. Place balls of dough straight only a baking tray and roll out until very thin. Cut into shapes using a pizza slicer or any other device.
  4. Bake at 180°C / 360°F until the crackers starts to turn light brown, about 12-15 minutes.



March is #greenslove month!

Please join in on the #greenslove fun by linking up any leafy green recipe from the month of March 2012. Don’t forget to link back to this post, so that your readers know to come stop by the #greenslove event!
The twitter hashtag is #greenslove:)

Cohosted by
Spinach Polenta Chili Crackers


27 comments:

  1. i'm so surprised that you didn't have to use butter to make these crackers! wow they are super healthy! i should try to use polenta more in my cooking. thanks for this wonderful greenslove post! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love crackers and this one rocks!!!! I have a cracker recipe waiting to be published and I didn't use butter either ;-)

    Great #greenslove!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These looks great - love the thought of polenta & spinach in these.

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW! I love these and they're so good for you! I look forward to making these soon. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks awesome, I want to try to make them with my gluten free Better Batter flour! I think it can be done!!

    Stopping by to send you some #greenslove! Happy to be co-hosting with you! :)
    Cindy
    http://vegetarianmamma.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. one word : awesome!

    never thought making crackers using greens can be this easy :)

    nice for you to share this recipe :)

    sending more #greenslove your way!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this idea... What a fabulous way to include more greens in your diet... They look delicious! Thanks for sharing this recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awesome crackers! I like that you used polenta, it sounds super tasty paired with the spinach. Great post and happy bloghopping to you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a fabulous use of greens! These crackers look so tasty...and I love that you've added some chili powder :) Excellent #greenslove dish~

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, making crackers from scratch. What a great idea! Thanks for sharing some #greenslove :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a terrific recipe! I've always wanted to make crackers & this spinach-polenta is perfect! Thanks for sharing the greenslove!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Super fun idea to use spinach in your crackers! I'd love to try making a gluten-free version of these. I'm thinking a combo of sorghum, millet, and almond flour in place of the semolina would be delicious. Happy #greenslove!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Terrific cracker recipe - such great ingredients! I think I'm going to give them a try tonight. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I honestly have not ever made crackers before, but this is just a terrific sounding recipe. Thanks for your tips on baking and stickiness! Especially for a first timer!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a great, great idea! Pinning this one to make these really soon!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I happen to like spinach but this is definitely a great way to get your greens in! I bet these are fantastic with spinach dip! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I also love this idea...these crackers looks so awesome!

    #greenslove

    ReplyDelete
  18. I have been talking about making crackers forever, even bought a cracker cutter. I love your recipe, they sound delicious:-) Hugs, Terra

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi, is the polenta in your recipe, dried uncooked polenta, hoping to make these tomorrow (thank you in advance)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello. Yes, its dried uncooked polenta. Enjoy the crackers

      Delete
  20. can you tell me if you used dry or wet polenta please - thank you

    ReplyDelete
  21. my crackers turned out dry and grainy, i used dry polenta, really gutted was looking forward to these, i used 120ml of water and the oil

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry to hear that. Did you use fine or coarse polenta? I've made this many times, always turned out good. If you used fine polenta and it turned out grainy/dry, then I guess it might be the polenta (different type?)

      Delete
  22. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...