|Spicy Coca Cola Pulled Pork|
If you have flat coke and don’t want to throw it away, this recipe is a good way to use it up, assuming that you are not a vegetarian.
I looked at a number of coca cola pulled pork recipes. The amount of coke varied, ranging from 1 cup for 6 pounds of pork to as high as 1.2 litre of coke for 4-5 pounds of pork. I decided to use ¾ cup for a pound of pork, which is little more than a litre for 5 pounds of pork. My thinking was that if I am making coca cola pulled pork I might as well use a lot of coke, to make sure the coke flavor is there. Plus I had lot of coke to use up.
The pulled pork turned out great. It was sweet, but I couldn’t taste the distinct coke flavor. I rarely drink coke so perhaps my taste buds could not detect it.
While the pulled pork was really nice, I would not make this recipe again unless I had some flat coke to use up. Coke added sweetness, however I could get almost the same result by adding sugar, hence avoid all the preservatives and other stuff that goes in coke. I prefer my other two pulled pork recipes:
1 pound pork chops or pork shoulder
1 large onion, thinly sliced
2 cloves garlic, minced
Pinch salt and pepper
¾ cup Coca Cola
1/3 cup chili sauce (or BBQ sauce)
½ teaspoon minced chipotle chili in adobo
1. Heat oven to 160°C/325°F
2. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium high heat.
3. Add onions and cook, stirring occasionally, until they begin to soften, about 5 minutes
4. Add the garlic, salt and pepper and cook for another minute.
5. Remove from the heat and stir in the chipotle chilies.
6. Place pork on a foil-lined rimmed baking sheet, add sauce and coke and cover with aluminum foil
7. Bake until a fork inserted in thickest part of pork can be twisted easily and meat shreds off with little resistance, about 3½-4 hours.
8. Alternatively, instead of baking, you can cook the pork in a slow cooker on high for 4 hours or on low for 8 hours
9. Once the pork is done, transfer it to a cutting board and shred using two forks. Add the sauce and mix.