|Yogurt cake with crunchy coconut glaze|
Oatmeal cakes generally require that the oats be soaked in hot water for 10-15 minutes. I skipped the soaking process and the result was fine. If you use rolled oats the oats will break down pretty quick anyway.
The recipe below is a base version. You can always vary it by including desiccated coconut, fruits, lime or pretty much anything else. I earlier posted a recipe for a coconut cake that uses a similar recipe. The coconut cake is a bit lighter since there are no oats involved.
If you have more time and are willing to put in extra effort and use extra ingredients, a regular cake that uses eggs will give a better result. Considering that this cake uses only 4 ingredients and a very simple procedure the result certainly exceeded my expectations. And I will for sure be making it again, especially when I am lazy or ingredients like eggs are not available.
The crunchy coconut glaze is optional. It adds great flavour and texture. I had a portion of the cake with custard.
1 part self raising flour, sifted
1 part rolled oats
1 part sugar (use slightly less if you will ice or glaze the cake)
For the crunchy coconut glaze:
1 part desiccated coconut
1 part sugar
Enough melted butter, milk or water
1. Heat oven to 180 degrees
2. Combine all the dry ingredients
3. Add enough yogurt to get the right consistency
4. Bake until done, about 30 minutes
5. For the crunchy top, mix the coconut and sugar, and add enough butter, milk or water to bring the mixture together so it is spreadable
6. Spread on top of the cake and broil/blow torch until golden brown and delicious.
|Yogurt cake with crunchy coconut glaze with custard|